Tuesday, January 31, 2006

New Patriot Act Provision Creates Tighter Barrier At Public Events

This just in, following President Bush's State of the Union speech, at which Iraq War opponent Cindy Sheehan (who was wearing an antiwar T-shirt) was arrested. During the speech Bush called for the reauthorization of the USA Patriot Act, due to expire in three days.

New Patriot Act Provision Creates Tighter Barrier to Officials at Public Events
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
By Kelley Beaucar Vlahos
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183147,00.html

WASHINGTON — A new provision tucked into the Patriot Act bill now before Congress would allow authorities to haul demonstrators at any "special event of national significance" away to jail on felony charges if they are caught breaching a security perimeter.

Sen. Arlen Specter , R-Pa., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, sponsored the measure, which would extend the authority of the Secret Service to allow agents to arrest people who willingly or knowingly enter a restricted area at an event, even if the president or other official normally protected by the Secret Service isn't in attendance at the time.

The measure has civil libertarians protesting what they say is yet another power grab for the executive branch and one more loss for free speech.

"It's definitely problematic and chilling," said Lisa Graves, senior counsel for legislative strategy at the American Civil Liberties Union , which has written letters to the chairmen and ranking members of the House and Senate Judiciary Committees, pointing out that the provision wasn't subject to hearings or open debate.

Some conservatives say they too are troubled by the measure.

"It concerns me greatly," said Bob Barr, former U.S. prosecutor and Republican representative from Georgia. "It clearly raises serious concerns about First Amendment rights."

But not everyone agrees that rights are being trampled on by the additional provision. In fact, some say the ACLU is the problem when it comes to protecting national security.

Rocco DiPippo, a freelance writer for the conservative FrontPageMagazine.com and editor of The Autonomist Web log , said the ACLU has fought the government every step of the way over security measures following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

"Its opposition to Specter's reasonable proposal is simply more of the same," he said. "I can understand the concern that we should be suspicious of government, but we shouldn't adopt this mindset: 'government is evil.' This is just more hatred of (President) Bush."

Under current law, the Secret Service can arrest anyone for breaching restricted areas where the president or a protected official is or will be visiting, but the new provision would allow such arrests even after those VIPs have left the premises of any designated "special event of national significance." The provision would increase the maximum penalty for such an infraction from six months to one year in jail.

In a post-Sept. 11 world many non-political events have been designated National Special Security Events and would rise to the higher status. Examples of possible NSSEs are the Olympics or the Super Bowl. In 2004, the presidential inaugural balls and President Ronald Reagan's June funeral procession in Washington, D.C., were designated NSSEs.

According to government sources with knowledge of the legislation, Secret Service protection and law enforcement authority would extend beyond protecting a specific person, rather the event itself would become the "protectee."

Currently, non-violent demonstrators who enter restricted areas at such events previously would be arrested and charged by local law enforcement with simple trespassing, said Graves. Under the provision included in the new law, they will be charged with felonies by the Secret Service.

"It's a different consequence to people," she said.

"You are talking about giving the executive branch broader authority to create these exclusion zones which could cover broad areas and last for days [during an event ]," David Kopel, a constitutional expert with the Cato Institute, told FOXNews.com.

A spokesman at Specter's office said the senator was surprised by the clamor over the provision, which merely makes a technical change to clear up legal confusion over who has arresting authority at NSSEs. His office had no further comment on the provision. Committee Ranking Member Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., also declined comment. Republican and Democratic House Judiciary Committee leaders did not return calls for comment.

White House sources say the measure was not instigated by the administration and pointed out that it was a stand-alone bill that was rolled into the Patriot Act by Specter's office during House-Senate conference negotiations. White House spokeswoman Dana Perino told FOXNews.com that the White House would not comment on the intent of the measure, but that the president is concerned with preserving individual rights.

"President Bush is committed to protecting the American people's national security as well as their civil liberties," she said.

Secret Service representatives said the agency does not comment on pending legislation.

The Bush administration has been criticized in the past for what many say are tactics that keep protesters far away from official events and by employing stringent policies to ensure favorable audiences for the president.

Last year, three ticket-holding audience members at one of the president's Social Security events in Denver, Colo., were apprehended by a man who they said identified himself as Secret Service. The three were forced away from the event because of an anti-war sticker on the driver's car.

"[The administration] has certainly demonstrated a desire to have carefully-controlled events," said Graves.

John Pike, director of GlobalSecurity.org, an Alexandria, Va.-based clearinghouse for domestic and international security information, said he "could certainly understand why the Secret Service would want that legal authority," given the enormous burden of making venues safe for VIPs today.

"However, I think many people have concluded that the way it is being used has nothing to do with protecting the president from Usama bin Laden and everything to do with suppressing dissent and making sure the protesters don't get on TV," Pike said.

Bush is not the first president to flex his authority in this area, said Kopel, who pointed out that beginning with Reagan, presidents have created a larger security bubble and greater distance between themselves and dissenters at public events. The 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States just intensified the situation, he said.

"I think the concerns about free speech in areas where the president is speaking long pre-date Bush. They were an issue in the Clinton administration, the first Bush administration and began as an issue during Reagan," Kopel said. "I do think the ACLU has legitimate concerns about the breadth of the new language and how it could be applied."

Graves points out that conservative "pro-life" groups will be the target of the new provisions, too, a scenario that could raise the concerns for those who are typically critical of the ACLU, which she said is necessarily concerned about other provisions in the bill that impinge on civil liberties.

House and Senate leaders, who return to Capitol Hill this week, are trying to renew the Patriot Act by Friday. Democrats and four Republicans in the Senate who filibustered a final vote in December after raising concerns about preserving civil liberties instituted a short-term extension of the previous bill, which was set to expire on Dec. 31.

Comments:
Good info. Thanks.

Regards,
Mini-DOW Futures Day Trader
trading knowledge
 
A good read. Thaks for all the good info.

Regards,
Mini-DOW Futures Day Trader
emini trading system
 
Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Cruise Resources for family, caribbean, Bahama and Mexico cruises if you or your readers are interested.
 
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Blogger, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
wholesale computer hardware
It covers wholesale computer hardware related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
 
Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about gps navigation, please feel free to visit.
 

general real estate Real Estate Investment - How To Buy Real Estate Without Down Payment
Turn Your Dream Into Reality. Own Your Own Home In Just 60 Days! Isn't that the dream of most people?

Unfortunately, home ownership is an illusive dream for millions of people. The reason? Coming up with a large chunk of cash for the down payment. How would you like to get information on 5 non-profit sources that will GIVE you the money for your down payment? Do I have your attention? I thought so.

This innovative program is so new that most realtors and loan officers don't even know about it. You can grab this information today and start moving into your new home just 60 days from now! Real Estate Investment general real estate

 
Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
credit center
It covers credit center related subjects.
Have a great day!
 
Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
credit center
It covers credit center related contents.
All the best!
 
Hey Blogger, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have acredit center site. It pretty much covers credit center related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!
 
Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about loans center.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
loans center
I wish you all the best!
 
Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on instant life insurance policy and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though your blog is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at instant life insurance policy. If you have the energy swing by http://www.lifeinsurance-policy.com. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!
 
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you, Friend, how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
credit center
It covers credit center related contents.
All the best!
 
Hi Blogger!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
insurance center
It pretty much covers insurance center related issues.
Best regards!
 
Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about loans center so I know I'm talking
about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the
great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please visit my site loans center
Best success!
 
Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about loans center so I know I'm talking
about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the
great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please visit my site loans center
Best success!
 
Congratulations Friend for your excellent blog on used car web site!Keep up the good work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
used car web site
I send you my warm regards and wish you continued success.
Have a nice day! :-)
 
Hi Fellow! I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
loans center
It covers loans center related contents.
All the best!
 
Hi Blogger!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
job portal
It pretty much covers job portal related issues.
Best regards!
 
Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
insurance center
It covers insurance center related subjects.
Have a great day!
 
Hi, Fellow!I like your blog!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a insurance center
site. It pretty much covers insurance center related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!
 
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Blogger, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
insurance center
It covers insurance center related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
 
Hi Blogger! I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
insurance center
It pretty much covers insurance center related issues.
Best regards!
 
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Blogger, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
insurance center
It covers insurance center related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
 
I found this blog because I�ve been seeking for tips and articles related to free single chat. By the way, there�s a nice site related to free single chat and Photo Personals. Adult Singles
 
Hi, Fellow!I like your blog!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a job portal
site. It pretty much covers job portal related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!
 
Greetings, I was reading some blogs and came across your blog. I really enjoy how it makes such good reading.

I'll come by again.

Regards,

How To Get an AIU Online Degree
 
Congratulations Friend for your excellent blog on games center!Keep up the good work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
games center
I send you my warm regards and wish you continued success.
Have a nice day! :-)
 
I was searching blogs,and I found your site.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
loans center
It pretty much covers loans center related issues.
Have a good day!
 
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Blogger, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
insurance center
It covers insurance center related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.
 
Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about job portal.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
job portal
I wish you all the best!
 
Hi, Fellow!I like your blog!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a job portal
site. It pretty much covers job portal related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!
 
Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my airline cheap discount tickets site.
Have a great week!
 
Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my airline cheap discount tickets site.
Have a great week!
 
Interesting blog about poetry publish, keep up the good work poetry publish
 
This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my airline tickets international site.
Have a great week!
 
I am conducting some research on various work from home sites and ran across this page.Even though it wasn't "exactly" what I was looking for, I think your readers might be interested in reading my internet marketing training home page since it signicantly reduces ones learning curve. As you know, the more information people have before spending their hard earned money -- the better. Sorry for the self promotion, just trying to get the word out while looking for sites to review. On to the next -- thanks!Steve @Finance Tips
Appreciated your info. Thanks,Steve @Finance Tips
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?